Monday, October 25, 2010

Snow in the Mountains

(On the road to Crater Lake)

I heard that it has snowed in the Cascades overnight. That reminded me of my very first visit here. It was over a Christmas holiday and I was so very lucky to have a friend take me everywhere to see the beauty of the Pacific NW.
We traveled many snow covered roads exploring National Parks and Forests. Not exceptionally smart in the dead of winter. 
This painting is actually based on an exciting ride to Crater Lake in a virtual blizzard. Why would I even expect to see that super blue lake in the midst of winter? Visibility was less than 1 foot. The lodge was open for skiers and snowmobilers so we were able to have hot chocolate.  I was able to buy postcards, calendars and many other little souvenirs with the stock photo of that beautiful super blue lake.
We literally crawled back to the car for the trip back to town.  The road was even more covered with snow and only occasionally could you see tire marks from the other fools out on that day.  The snow banks were blue . Yes, blue. They were extremely high, too.
And the world was quiet and all the trees were Christmas Trees.
I had a blast adding touches of interference blue in the shadows on the snow and little bits everywhere representing the falling snow. You know, it looks just like I remember.
Too bad the glistening doesn't show in a photo.

6 comments:

Lisa said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Love your ocean work and your snow work! Just beautiful, snow I can't wait! Of course Seth, was in the snow in Colorado and was not happy with it! :) Put you in my blog today, stop by and don't forget to sign up for my free giveaway.
www.creationsbylisak.blogspot.com Hope you sell alot! :))

Crystal said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Beatutiful! I love it! Snow scenes are my favorites and you are a master at them ;-)

Jeanie Callaghan said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Oh, lovely, Lee. I really love snow - from a distance! We don't see much of it down here in Atlanta. But when I visit my family in northern Kentucky at Christmas time, I slip and slide around. Your snow is gorgeous.

pinkglitterfae said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Lee what a magical memory! you've illustrated it very well, and I know how hard snow scenes are.
You're making me long for winter to come :-)
xoxo
betty

Magic Love Crow said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Lee, so beautiful and thanks for sharing your story! I love winter so much! To me, it's the most peaceful and magical time of year!

Marlene said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Gorgeous Lee, The road to Crater Lake is hard enough in good weather, don't know if I'd do it in the snow.