Wednesday, March 18, 2009

How do you feel about food with a face?

This painting is based on a photo shared by Loredana.
Thanks Lore for the photo and reminding me of my trip to Italy so many years ago.

It was Spring and I was a "worldly" 17 year old, on my first trip without family.
Several friends - in a student group taking a tour of Italy, Switzerland and the Netherlands. Limited free time but certainly enough for me to wander and explore.

We arrived in Florence on Good Friday and weren't able to find anyplace open for lunch. Between 12 and 3PM everything was closed.

By suppertime, I was starved. I eagerly ordered fish and what I thought was 2 glasses of wine. Exchange rate was much better, so I got 2 bottles of Chianti, one glass and a bunch of curious glares.

Shortly thereafter, the waiter delivered family style vegetables and a plate with my dinner looking at me. Well, with one eye anyway. It was a first for me. I had fish or seafood every Friday night and this was the first time it had ever looked back at me.

I guess that way you never dine alone.

1 comments:

Loredana Mariotto said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Lee, the paint is wonderful and I'm so happy it took you to beautiful reminds on my country.
I can't imagine Florence with "all closed" at lunch time ! :D
You MUST come here again and see how Italy has changed in the last... few years!